Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thankful for Football.

If you know me at all, you'll know that Thanksgiving has never been a big deal holiday for me. I feel like it's turned into being all about the turkey and the Black Friday hype. I've been a vegetarian since 1999, and would maybe rather get the plague (ok, not really, but definitely the flu!) than stand outside a store with a bunch of anxious people waiting for a deal on a flatscreen tv.

BUT. Just when you're about to pinpoint me as the Thanksgiving Day Scrooge (really, I kinda am, you should have seen me cursing at the television this morning - I was so psyched to look at the floats at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, and all they were showing were people doing Broadway musical performances! I don't care about musicals, sorry!), I can at least get on board and excited about the football part of the holiday. I am a HUGE football fan. My dad raised me going to local high school football games, and our Sundays every fall and winter were always spent watching NFL games. Anytime I get the chance, I'll go watch the local high school kids play, and today, Thanksgiving, my best friend and I went and saw Portland High School vs. Deering High School, longtime rivals. This is a special Thanksgiving game (that doesn't actually mean anything), but it's been a tradition for 100 years

warmin' up!

The weather was freezing, so we bundled up. I brought two blankets just like I always do - one to sit on and one to cuddle up in. We also got hot cocoa, which is another part of the tradition, of course! There was still ice on the bleachers from the mini storm the day before, and we saw multiple people with wet butts.

My best friend Panda and me

Despite the cold, it was a beautiful day for a football game.


I was really alarmed at how many Ugg boots I saw. I'm never around teenagers (especially that many at one time!) and I can't believe that they are still SO in style with that generation. I had no idea there were so many different options, either! Sparkly red, sparkly gold, eggplant, slate blue, maroon, black, gray, dark brown, light brown, tan, quilted. I really wish our culture could get over these horrible things already. Panda and I talked about it a bunch, and she did say in their defense that they're like sticking your feet into a bunch of pillows, but still! Let's figure something else out that can be equally as comfortable and not so terribly expensive and truly hideous!


L.L. Bean boots get us girls through many Maine winters!

We stayed until the end of the 3rd quarter, and then bailed because it was a blowout. The Portland boys were half the size of the Deering kids - they didn't stand a chance!

We tried to get a photo of us with the loud cheering fans behind us, and I love this photo. Foolish!

Check out that sweet cane! Hahaha!

I dropped Panda off at her house, went home, ran seven and half miles, and then made myself a poor man's Thanksgiving dinner.

Special shout out to my english muffin taking the place of a biscuit! Hahaha!

Not a bad holiday at all.

Happy Thanksgiving, friends!

xo,
mandy

PS- Check out the new goodies in my shop. More coming this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment