Monday, November 7, 2011

Making Healthy Banana Cookies

... and I never cook! Ever!

I woke up this morning, and saw my four bananas sitting on their little banana holder on top of the fridge. They were all super ripe, and I knew that if I didn't eat them all today, they'd go bad. I knew eating four bananas for breakfast wasn't my idea of a good time, so I decided to look up an easy banana recipe online. 

I found this:


It's important that you know that I never cook/bake ever.... EVER. But this seemed like something I could handle. I modified the recipe a bit, because I didn't have dates, vegetable oil, or vanilla extract. 

Here were my ingredients:

  • 4 ripe bananas
  • 1 apple
  • 2 1/2 cup rolled oats (I put half a cup more oats in to compensate for my additional banana and apple)
  • 1 1/2 cup dried cranberries (I bet just 1 cup would have been enough, but I am having a serious love affair with cranberries right now, and wanted more!)
  • 1/3 cup apple honey butter (I used this instead of the vegetable oil, but I also read you could just use plain applesauce, too. I didn't have any applesauce which is why I used this.)
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon

I was gonna use honey, too, but it was kinda hard and old so I tossed it.

First, I peeled the apple, and then cut it up into teeny tiny pieces.

(Yes, that is a cutting board in the shape of Maine. I'm a little overly proud of my state.)

Then I combined the apple and the bananas. It said to mash the bananas, and since I didn't really have a good masher other than a spoon, I just used my hands. This was kind of fun, and kind of nauseating at the same time. 


That's my laptop to the right. I know, I know, I could have spilled on it, but I didn't. I was listening to this, which really made everything much more enjoyable. I also kept glancing at the directions.

So then I combined all that other shit together...

The apple butter looks gross, I know.

....and mixed it all up.


Uh-huh!


I let the mixture sit for 15 minutes, and I preheated the over to 325 degrees - the original recipe says 350, but my oven is kinda effed up, so 325 worked better for me. I put tinfoil over my baking pan because my baking pan was old and nasty, and I sprayed a little bit of canola oil on the tinfoil so the cookies wouldn't stick. I baked them for 20 minutes (the original recipe says 15, but I did 20 because, again, my oven is sorta broken and a piece of crap).

Just out of the oven!

Hooray! 

They're not crunchy at all, very soft and kinda squishy... but in a good way!

And then I did this.

(Excuse my slightly disheveled state. I just woke up!)

Yum.
(The end.)

xo,
mandy

PS: This is most definitely not going to turn into a food blog. I love fashion and clothes WAY more than food. Look for some new Etsy listings today!

PPS: Did you see these AWESOME vintage ombre glasses I just posted yesterday in my shop? A serious LOLZ at my modeling, too! I get foolish when I have to model stuff on my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment